Lukos Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lukos Software

Community Forum for Lukos Software

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This forum will be closing very soon. Please redirect your bookmarks and whatnot to http://lukos.x10hosting.com

Thoughts on Tokens

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 am

I originally thought I'd make this a poll, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't write one that would give me sufficiently useful feedback. So, let's do this instead:

Please tell me what you think about tokens.

Which ones you like, which ones you don't, whether you like them as a group, what you'd like to see changed, whatever. Incidentally, this also ties into Archmage selection, since that influences which tokens you end up with (both obviously, and non-obviously). Tokens are difficult to balance because of their high power level, and I'm guessing I didn't get it right on the first pass. Smile I'm hoping to get some direct feedback on them, so I can polish them up a bit more. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://glistenimages.com/Lukos/lukosHome.htm
DeeMer
Winner - Celestial Mage

Winner - Celestial Mage
DeeMer

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 am

The only tokens I really get mileage out of are White Tokens for Item creation and the Pink Tokens for wishes. Black Tokens are nice for throwing at enemies, but I usually invert it for a new White. I haven't played too much with Red or Blue yet. Sometimes I'll just use the Blue for the Mana regen.
Back to top Go down
Aquillion
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 6:16 am

Yeah, white and pink seem much more powerful than the others -- they can give you a lasting bonus, while the others are basically just get-out-of-jail-free cards. There are already lots of items that can serve as get-out-of-jail-free cards (admittedly, not such powerful ones, but still.) I haven't had too much chance to play around yet, though.

On the other hand... extending the token-buffs with potions of permanence could probably be extremely powerful, too, although perhaps a bit less so with potions of permanence now toned down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Interesting. Ok...for the tokens that you guys think aren't as strong, would increasing the duration of the use effects (number of casts or number of turns, respectively) be sufficient to make them comparable to Light and Cosmic, or are the effects themselves sufficiently weaker that they warrant a redesign? How often do you end up using the other things that they can do (throw, mix, etc)?
Back to top Go down
http://glistenimages.com/Lukos/lukosHome.htm
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 pm

The red token is the most awesome item in this game. Period.

I'm not impressed with the black token at all. Invisibility is far too common already with scrolls and spells and such for me to really care about devoting my rare starting item slot to it. Maybe there are cool item mixes with it. I havent really played around with that yet.

I think the regerating tokens are actually kind of "meh". Those are somewhat useful abilities outside of combat and horrible in combat. Their usefulness is often outweighed by a single potion, however.

I haven't played around with the Wish token too much and I wonder if it is only limtied to equipment. I've tried Level Sphere, Life, and Ally among other thingswith no success. I'm hugely against wishes in roguelikes but this one seems a little more balanced. Maybe I just don't know the names of all the really awesome wishable gear yet.
Back to top Go down
Fyren
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm

winter_mute wrote:
I think the regerating tokens are actually kind of "meh". Those are somewhat useful abilities outside of combat and horrible in combat. Their usefulness is often outweighed by a single potion, however.

Pretty much. I've never wanted to use a token on myself rather than a potion. Maybe have their effect scale depending on your max HP/MP so that they're better than a potion by total HP/MP gained and can potentially save you a turn later if you use one before you start zapping things or getting whacked (as opposed to having to drink a potion in the middle of the zapping/whacking).
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:44 pm

I take it back. black domination token is pretty damn useful. Neither effect is as swingy and satisfying as overcharged but taken together that artifact has some nice utility.

the regen tokens still suck though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts on Tokens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Tokens   Thoughts on Tokens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Tokens
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lukos Software :: MageGuild :: Beta Discussion-
Jump to: