Lukos Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lukos Software

Community Forum for Lukos Software

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This forum will be closing very soon. Please redirect your bookmarks and whatnot to http://lukos.x10hosting.com

Ideas/Suggestions

Go down 
+3
Dryst
JMskit
Nahjor
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:16 am

Added ideas from this thread to the project page. Should be considered "under consideration"; they're not necessarily going into 1.0, or going in at all, but I don't want to lose/forget them.
Back to top Go down
http://glistenimages.com/Lukos/lukosHome.htm
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 1:59 pm

ideas

More Overcharged Spells
- why no cone of dig? cone create wall? why no better armor spell Hyper Armor that stops all damage (non extendable duration) I'm kind of dissapointed to find there isn't a Ca-Ra-Zy version of every spell and inverse spell in this game.

Enemy Behavior
* Fleeing and snare dropping. Intelligent rogues or tricky things like maybe kobolds that flee pause after maybe 4 steps to drop a nasty trap before continuing to flee

*more zig-zag rushes and flees for intelligent monsters to prevent line of sight.

*ability for skirmisher monsters to leap at player within three squares of closing or away from player to a non-line-of-fire sqaure when at low health for fleeing

* intelligent monsters less likely to step into charged melee radius 2 or higher.

*passage blocking. enemies step into corridors to prevent the player from stepping into the corridor to escape/control combat. It helps if the enemy has either a ton of HP so they are really a threat as a temporary wall or have a ranged attack so they can snipe at the player from the corridor.

*fountain guarding / using. enemies under 1/2 health will step into healing fonts if they are in the room. enemies step onto fountains and guard them if 1) the player is engaged / within a certain number of squares. obviously they should rush the
player when the player is unengaged because otherwise they will just get ru

ENVIRONMENT
* most hazards like acid or lava have a purely negative effect. I would never think of really risking anything to pass through them. The ONLY time they have been important is when I was dragged unwillingly into acid by a black mote. which was pretty spectacular.

*blessed squares that grant armor bonuses or damage bonuses from entering. squares that are actually good to be in during combat as opposed to fount. perhaps in formations that the player would be challenged to use without the monsters also using it. Or ranged monsters that would rush to a damage boosting tile etc.

*difficult terrain with a higher movement cost to pass through. Items or fountains loaded into it. This would present an interesting tactical choice during or right before combat. unlike lava or acid where a player would NEVER enter it voluntarily, a player might spend turns as a resource to cross difficult terrain for a variety of reasons.

* rooms that may form pillars in a variety of formations

* with restraint, warp gates. perhaps on later levels a single warp gate that connects to a single other location

* I know there are the blue motes but I really would like some sort of common exploding DOOM barrel object.

* single use before expiring Overcharged Spell tiles (magic circles?). move invisibily or Leap towards it to blast down 10 or so monsters in the sphere room etc. tactical choices for resource expenditure to reach the power tile and risk vs. reward of trying to reach it.

* pattern hazerds. spike balls the roll glued to a wall and turn right whenever available and really damage the player if they touch. Objects that "march" from left to right in a straight line, spinning blades or something. Its important that the objects be clearly visible to avoid stupid roguelike death traps. this is an environment feature I really want to see that to my knowledge hasnt ever been implemented before. I was thinking earlier today "how could I make a roguelike that is more metroid/turrican like?" and that is the idea I settled on.

* expanding hazards. fungus or something

basically a lot more environment interaction for tactical combat choices. Without slipping into random screw over / stupid nethack death-trap syndrome. No hidden traps and fair warning for object sighting and object behavior.
Back to top Go down
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 pm

So, it's officially become unwieldy for me to track all the cool ideas that may or may not get used on the project page. Suffice to say, I am reading and tracking them. Smile
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 pm

to clarify a bit more about an intelligent monster decision:

as it stands right now the player can always wait for a monster to step into an attack radius. this being a strategy game with a heavy focus on tactical decisions and meta-game thinking the monsters should be able to think similarly.

A really intelligent monster will always stand here out of line of effect if the player is holding any charges and wait for the player to waste the charges instead of walking into charged or double charged melee like a stupid zombie or gargoyle. at least until the player is engaged and would lose life for changing focus. I kind of like the idea of a "waiting rogue" because it makes a lot of sense in that it is what an actual PLAYER opponent controlling the monster might do. you might think that is a little bit too cheap, however.

* . . . .
* @. . .
* . . . m

Also, I beg of you, please PLEASE ditch the orc/goblin monsters. they are BORING. they have no awesome gimmicks. (except for the darter, who could just as easily be a kobold or something. and if fleeing should be smart enough to check line of effect and step out of it before running. and should drop invisible single damage immobalizing snares somewhere on its escape path, especially if it senses walls on two adjacent sqaures because a passage would be better. Yeah.) even your other monsters that have no awesome gimmicks like wolves at least travel in packs. Or something. My main motivating factor has been seeing the new monsters on each level

Here are ideas for a couple.

PIT WORM - avg. speed, decent hit points, tremor senses player within a certain radius. movement normalizes wall tiles which the worm ignores on its pathfinding so the things. Also, after the monster loses 50% HP it may try to flee in a random direction, possibly boring more tunnels. lower level. Fun because battlefield manipulation is fun.

FIRE WALKER + fast speed, double low damage melee fire-typed attacks that may cause burning. leaves a firewall tile in every square it leaves, perhaps only with a 20 turn duration. If the player is engaged, it will always choose to "dance" around the player until its path-checking senses another creature in an adjacent clockwise or counterclockwise space (chosen randomly?) mid level

; ; ; F@ walks right up to the player and begins beating

T T Oops. you're fighting some trolls? let me use my double monvement to
; ; ; ;@F fire dance around you and cut off avenues of escape.
; ; ;

TRANSFORMING CULTISTS - cultists wield poison knives and will run up to stab player. if the player is otherwise engaged the cultist will begin a 5 turn ritual to transform into a Lesser Demon which will basically be a low level mini razor fiend. strategically fun monster because of the target prioritization decisions it would cause. especially good decision point if there are dangerous artillery monsters in the same level range
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 pm

i see that fire dance picture didnt turn out right. I've been awake for 30 hours now. that's also my excuse for the couple of times I trailed off there anyways, let me try again....

. . . . T T
; ; ; ;@ F
. . . ; ; ;;

fire dance! fire dancing around the player, cutting off those avenues of escape!
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:34 pm

also, new effect shapes and types

trails - see firewalker

slow bombs - creates an object that moves across the screen visibly like 1 square per turn before exploding into fireball templates for tons of damage.

bouncing beam - able to bounce 90 degrees off of corners.

radiating beams - like big auras how about some beam spells that radiate out of all 8 lines of effect?

drags - something the player can do or a monster can do moves
the creature into the square the 'controller' was just in. so a monster might drag the avatar toward other monsters or into damage tiles. maybe combined with a toss which is always set in the line of effect direction relative to the controller.

NETHER SHADOWS - Teleport around, fights like shades, when they die they leave behind a Shadowfire terrain tile that would basically cause lava damage from entering. this tile gets a turn counter with maybe 30-50 turns on it before regnerating back into the nether shadow.

QUICKLING - if you have something like this I sure havent noticed it or have missed it or not gotten that far. skirmisher monster. moves 4 squares per player turn. 2 weak attacks. more scary for its hit and run tactics then actual combat value. maybe give them the slower hp regeneration on movement like 1 per full move. run @ below 50% hp

LAVA SUBMARINE / SERPENT - gets its own decent sized lava pool that it emerges from to fireball the player (less damage then regular fireball?) before submerging again. I'm thinking of the monster from the first Zelda that would always snipe me and piss me off.

monster mods

SHADES - give them a chance to cause Frozen status on hit. D&D monster etc

STIRGE - if these things only do a single hit point, why dont they Drain it? or have a double power Draing attack they activate for 2 mana if below 1/2 health? also why don't they have a % to Attach to a player (or a Power) and auto-move into the relative square on player move so they spend their action point sucking more blood? so for whatever reason the player might drag a big cloud of blood suckers around with them.

Lastly for now: where's my tornado spell?
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 am

I've noticed the high score lists points character level and cause of death. It would benefit from listing dungeon level as well.
Back to top Go down
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 12:02 pm

winter_mute wrote:
I've noticed the high score lists points character level and cause of death. It would benefit from listing dungeon level as well.

You know what's sad? I think I meant to do that when I added the bit where it displays which archmage's dungeon you croaked in, and forgot to. Asleep at the wheel again. Smile Will add.
Back to top Go down
winter_mute
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Here's an extremely far fetched one:

Ever thought of doing a DS port?
Back to top Go down
Nahjor
Admin
Admin
Nahjor

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 pm

winter_mute wrote:
Ever thought of doing a DS port?

That is an extremely far-fetched one. Wink I'd love to do a DS port. Unfortunately, unless the .NET framework (or Mono) will run on the DS in some way, it wouldn't be a port so much as a full rewrite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Suggestions   Ideas/Suggestions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas/Suggestions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2